About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: Relative Fortunes

Relative Fortunes Book Review 

"In 1924 Manhattan, women's suffrage is old news. For sophisticated booklover Julia Kydd, life's too short of politics. With her cropped hair and penchant for independent living, Julia wants only to launch her own new private press. But as a woman, Julia must fight for what's hers - including the inheritance her estranged half brother, Philip, has challenged, putting her aspirations in jeopardy. 

When her friend's sister, Naomi Rankin, dies suddenly of an apparent suicide, Julia is shocked at the wealthy family's indifference toward the ardent suffragist's death. Naomi chose poverty and hardship over a submissive marriage and a husband's control of her money. Now, her death suggests the struggle was more than she could bear. 

Julia, however, is skeptical. Doubtful of her suspicions, Philip proposes a glib wager if Julia can prove Naomi was in fact murdered, he'll drop his claims to her wealth. Julia coon discovers Naomi's life was as turbulent and enigmatic as her death. And as she gets closer to the truth, Julia sees there's much more at stake than her inheritance..." (Description given on Netgalley.com)

Looking at the cover of this novel and hearing the description I knew I had to read it! Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this novel. 

Relative Fortunes is about Julia Kydd, a young woman with half her father's fortune to look forward to when she becomes of age. Naomi; friend's sister, dies of an apparent suicide. Philip; her half-brother, is keeping her fortune from her and make a wager - he will allow her to have her fortune if Julia can figure out what happened to Naomi. Julia takes her chance and confronts the problems that had happened to Naomi with her family.

This novel has a slow start and takes time for you to get into. But overall, the plot was interesting and entertaining. Julia as a character is okay, she gets stronger and more likable through out the novel. I understand this is the first novel of a series which i would probably check out when the second book comes out.

I think as a first novel by Marlowe Benn, this is a solid novel. I think as the series continues Julia will get even stronger as a character and Benn won't need to do as many introductions of the characters. Benn gave a lot of research into the history of the 20s and how women were treated which was super interesting (if you enjoy that history).

The only part i didn't care for was the murder mystery, the mystery itself wasn't anything special when it came to murder mystery stories. But overall the history part of the story was interesting.

I gave this novel ⭐⭐⭐ review. I would probably read the next novel in the series when released, not my favourite first book to a series but still a good novel.

#relativefortunes #netgalley

Relative Fortunes is the first novel by Marlowe Benn
Released August 1, 2019 
Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley!

No comments:

Post a Comment