About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone Book Review

Then She Was Gone is about "Then: She was fifteen, her mother's golden girl. She had her whole life ahead of her. And then, in the blink of an eye, Ellie was gone.

Now: it's been ten years since Ellie disappeared, but Laurel has never given up hope of finding her daughter. 

And then one day a charming and charismatic stranger called Floyd walks into a cafe and sweeps Laurel off her feet. 

Before too long she's staying the night at his house and being introduced to his nine year old daughter. 

Poppy is precocious and pretty - and meeting her completely takes Laurel's breath away. 

Because Poppy is the splitting image of Ellie when she was that age. And now all those unanswered questions that have haunted Laurel come flooding back. 

What happened to Ellie? Where did she go? 

Who still has secrets to hide?" (Goodreads).


Then She Was Gone is by Lisa Jewell who has written other novels including: Watching You, Before I Met You, and The Third Wife. Personally this was my first time reading a novel by Lisa Jewell.

I thought Then She Was Gone was an easy and addictive read. It was by no means by favourite novel but i think i would read another one of Lisa Jewell's novels when i'm looking for something interesting. The story is one we've all heard a thousand times, it's one that a child goes missing and a mother can't let go. But Jewell makes the whole thing her know, she twisted it to make the ending a little more surprising. I don't want to spoil the story but it was an emotional roller coaster about a mother's search for answers on the child that never came back.

This story as a whole is dark and creepy, Jewell did a great job making the novel be suspenseful and keep you guessing. Personally i could predict what would happen moments before it would happen and while the story as a whole could be predictable there were twists that did surprise me.

Jewell's is a great writer, she makes the characters seem real and you can relate to them. I can see why people enjoy her novels because that girl can write!

Overall, i would give this novel ⭐⭐⭐review! It wasn't perfect and sometimes you can guess the outcome (especially when they tell you the outcome at the beginning) but it did surprise me sometimes and was an easy read. I knew once i started it i wanted to finish it just to see where the story was going. But i will be giving Lisa Jewell's other novels a try as she is such a great writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment