About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book/TV Show Review: True Blood

True Blood Book and TV Show Review/Comparison 

True Blood is a book and TV series, the novels are otherwise known as The Southern Vampire Mysteries written by Charlaine Harris. Both are from the perspective of Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress and a telepath in a fictional town of Bon Temps in northwestern Louisiana. Two years after the invention of a synthetic blood branded "Tru Blood", vampires are able to come out of the coffin and allow their presence to be known to mankind. Now they are struggling for equal rights and assimilation, while anti-vampire organizations begin to gain power (Wikipedia). 

The story starts with Sookie falling in love with a 173 year old vampire named Bill Compton, her first official relationship and a complicated one at that. There is also the character Eric Northman who owns the vampire nightclub and is also a main character in Sookies life; from hated figure, to lover, to friend (well kinda).  


There were 13 novels in the series and a what came next with the final 14th novel; After Dead

1. Dead Until Dark 
2. Living Dead in Dallas 
3. Club Dead
4. Dead to the World 
5. Dead as a Doornail 
6. Definitely Dead 
7. All Together Dead 
8. From Dead to Worse 
9. Dead and Gone 
10. Dead in the Family 
11. Dead Reckoning 
12. Deadlocked 
13. Dead Ever After 
14. After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse 

The TV show was on air for 7 seasons between the years of 2008 to 2014 with Anna Paquin as Sookie, Stephen Moyer as Bill and Alexander Skarsgard as Eric. 

Anna Paquin is a spot on representation of Sookie from book to TV show, the TV show adds extra things about her that aren't written in the novel but overall the character is exactly the same between the two. 

Bill is a lot more unlikable in the novel where I personally like Bill as a character in the TV show, all the characters in the TV show seem to be more likable than in the books. That's the same with Eric, you like him a lot more in the TV show than the book as he is smart, powerful and sexy in the show while in the book he is a monstrous killer. 

Other characters to mention include: Jason (Sookie's brother) played by Ryan Kwanten, he did an awesome job bringing that character to life. He is fun and silly, I am sad that he doesn't get turned into a werepanther in the show but can't have everything! Tara is hardly in the books (at least the first couple) where she is a pretty major character in the show. And Lafayette is probably my favourite character in the show! He dies in the first chapter of the second book but he is soooooo great in the show! 

Overall, they changed a lot of stuff in the TV show in comparison to the novels but if you take them separately then I love them both on different levels. 

I actually watched the TV show before reading the books, started watching the TV show with my roommate at the time as a show we could watch together - it was a great show to bond and love together. Rewatching it with my husband I still love it, I noticed it is sillier than i remember but still great. 

The novels are easy reads but i needed to keep reminding myself to not compare them to the show or since the books came first, the other way around. 

I gave the books ⭐⭐⭐ and the show ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - i personally liked the TV show more but it's probably because i watch it first before reading the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment