About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

 Book Review: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

By Taylor Jenkins Reid 


Evelyn Hugo was one of the most famous actresses in the world. Her rise to fame started in the 50s and she retired from acting in the 80s. But part of that rise to fame included the fact that she was married seven times. 

Now, Evelyn Hugo is ready to tell the whole story. 

When Monique Grant, an unknown magazine reporter, is called into the senior editors office she is told that the well-known actress wants her to be the one to interview her on her life. Sharing all the dirty details of her career and all seven husbands along the way. 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is told by the point of view of Monique Grant, an unknown magazine reporter who only does fluff pieces. Monique had written one well-done piece that got the attention of the magazine but since then she has been writing side pieces that won't move her up in her career. One day she is called into the senior editors office, she is told that one of the most famous Hollywood actresses between the 50s to 80s, Evelyn Hugo, wanted Monique to be the one to interview her. 

Despite her confusion, Monique agrees to visit Evelyn to discuss what the interview will be about. Little did she know that Evelyn had much bigger plans than just getting a one page interview for a magazine, but wants Monique to write a book about her life. This includes all the dirty, heartbreaking, happy, horrible details. 

Evelyn Hugo was a high-class actress, with her rise to fame starting in the 50s, she is an award winner and well known to many movies during her career. But she is most well-known for being a woman who had been married seven times. 

Evelyn opens up to Monique about all seven marriages and all the secrets in-between. 

With twists and turns in each marriage, Monique learns that Evelyn is unapologetic for her decisions and the life in Hollywood is not everything it's cracked up to be. 

I really enjoyed this novel, I thought Evelyn is a classic selfish Hollywood star but her backstory is a little heartbreaking. But then moving to Monique who isn't a confident person due to her own past. Together they discuss the reason why Evelyn asked Monique to do the start. 

I liked the link of the two but didn't think it was needed for the overall story, but I understand why the author did it. 

I gave this novel a ⭐⭐⭐⭐ review, I would recommend this novel if you enjoy a story of drama but a story of truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment