About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: In a Dark, Dark Wood


In a Dark Dark Wood Book Review

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware, is about a woman who attends a bachelorette party of a childhood friend whom she hasn’t heard from in years. The party takes place in an isolated glass house in the woods and takes a turn for the worse. By the end of the weekend someone is dead and everyone is a suspect” (Wikipedia).

This is Ruth Ware’s first novel and I personally think it’s a great written story. Ware does a great job of spinning the story to keep you guessing. The overall feel of the novel is very Agatha Christie fashion where the first half of the book builds, it’s a psychological thriller that makes you feel uneasy. It has been noted, Ware was influence by Agatha Christie and other mystery novelists in her writing style and layout of her own novels.

The ending is kinda predictable, but I still think Ware did a great job of building a story that keeps you guessing throughout most of the book.

Overall, I really liked this book! It was a fast read but I thought it gave the readers something entertaining and keeps them guessing. The setting of the story; the glass house, is an eerie setting which keeps to the psychological genre. Yes, I was one of the readers who guessed the murder, but I do the same with an Agatha Christie novel. So, can you guess the ending, maybe – but the story as a whole is entertaining.

Looking into the awards this novel got, Ruth Ware received three awards or end-of-year lists for In a Dark, Dark Wood: A BEA Buzz Panel selection, an NPR best book of 2015, and RT Reviewer’s Choice Award for Best Suspense Novel. For a first novel this is impressive.  

My starred review is ⭐⭐⭐⭐! This book is not perfect, but I think it’s a great first novel debut from Ruth Ware and I love her other novels; The Woman in Cabin 10, The Lying Game¸ and The Death of Mrs. Westaway!

In a Dark, Dark Wood is also in production to become a film in (hopefully) the near future, Reece Witherspoon is to produce. The movie however does not have a release date, nor do I think they have started filming anything. I think this could be adapted into a good movie if done right!

With Ruth Ware’s newest novel, The Turn of the Key releasing in August (August 27th for Canada) I have decided to do a review for each of Ware’s novels before the newest!

If you have an author you’d like me to read and write a review of each of the novels please let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment