About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: My Lovely Wife

My Lovely Wife

I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored. 
We look like a normal couple. We are your neighbors, the parents of your kid's friend  the acquaintance you keep meaning to get dinner with. 
We all have our secrets to keeping a marriage alive. 
Ours just happens to be getting away with murder. 

My Lovely Wife is the first novel by Samantha Downing. Downing is one to follow for sure!

My Lovely Wife follows a "normal" husband and wife with their two children, the husband who is the narrator never tells us his real name. He gives us a first person narrative of the events that lead us to the surprising twist ending. His wife; Millicent, a controlling, beautiful, strong willed woman. Millicent likes things a certain way especially in her family. With their two children; Rory and Jenna, they have the perfect life. The narrator is a tennis coach at the local club, Millicent is a real estate agent. But marriage isn't everything it cracks up to be, the spice is gone but not lost.

This novel starts with "Tobias", a deaf gentleman talking with a young woman in a bar. They get to know each other and end up going back to her place to continue the evening. That evening ends with "Tobias" leaving without out a word except for the one spoken by the young lady asking if he really is deaf...

Millicent's husband, the narrator of this story goes home after his conquest as "Tobias" to tell his wife that this young woman is not the one. From their we continue to learn that in order to keep their marriage alive they together pick a girl to murder. This is not their first time and the rush is one they can't get enough of!

The narrator tells his side of the story about his lovely wife and the murder they plan and commit together.

This novel is wildly entertaining and surprising. I give this novel ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ (4.5) stars! One part of the ending I disagree with because of the events of the story (but i won't give it away). Overall, i loved this novel. It was fun and a great novel to put you in the middle of the story. Very surprising that this is Downing's first novel!

Samantha Downing is releasing her next novel; He Started It, available July 28 (US and Canada). 

No comments:

Post a Comment