About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book to Movie Review: IT


Book to Movie - Review: IT

Book by Stephen King 

Movie directed by Andre Muchietti (Chapter One: 2017 & Chapter Two: 2019)

In the small town of Derry Maine; adults go to work, and children go to school. But there is much more going on in this small town. Following the Losers Club: Bill, Richie, Beverly, Mike, Stanley, Eddie, and Ben. The Losers go through terrifying experiences caused by Pennywise the Dancing Clown. 

Pennywise hunts every twenty-seven years using the power of fear, he targets children by transforming into their worst nightmare. After the death of Bill's brother, Georgie, the seven Losers vow to become the hunter and kill Pennywise themselves. 

The story goes between the Losers as children to adults, after attacking Pennywise at age ten they vow to return to Derry if Pennywise is not dead. Twenty-seven years later, Mike who has stayed in Derry calls the other six with the bad news that their worst enemy is not defeated. Together the Losers return to their childhood home to face the evil they promised to destroy. 

Comparison:

I recently finished reading the novel IT, I've seen the movies before and highly enjoy them. They are a favourite in my house to watch every Halloween! There are many differences between the novel IT and the movies directed by Andre Muchietti's IT. I'm going to list a few of the bigger differences some I think could have been in the movie while others I'm glad they left out: 

1. The narrative

In the novel, King would switch between the child version and adult version of the characters. While in the movies, chapter one follows the children version of the Losers while chapter two follows the adult versions. I liked the movie version of keeping the children to adult versions separate, this allows the viewer to care for the innocent children in chapter one to cheer for the tired and more mature adults in chapter two. 

2. Georgie's body

In the novel, Georgie's body was found on the pavement in front of the drain Pennywise attacked from. He was missing his arm and his death was thought to be from this 'accident'. While in the movie, Pennywise takes Georgie's body with him which is assumed by the end of the movie he might have eaten him. There is also the difference that in the novel a neighbour watches what happens while in the movie the neighbour hardly notices. I think Georgie disappearing makes more sense for the character of Pennywise and labelling this as an 'accident'. 

3. Beverly's mom

In the novel, Beverly's mom is still around. She is a hard working woman but knows about the abuse her husband is inflicting on their daughter when she is 'bad'. There is worry that her husband might be molesting their daughter with nothing proven. However in the movie, Beverly's mom is dead. Her father is abusing his daughter through his actions and body language rather than physical abuse like in the book. I do not enjoy the character of Beverly's father, I don't think the presence of Beverly's mom gave anything extra to her story. When Beverly ends up with a husband like her father there doesn't seem to be much about her mom. 

4. Child sex scene

The famous scene that the novel of IT has been known for is when the seven children are stuck in the sewers and in order to get out the six boys have sex with Beverly. This was her idea and all six boys while afraid go along with losing their virginity's. In the movie, this scene is not included and it isn't even mentioned about them not finding their way out of the sewers. This scene in the novel had no place (in my opinion). It's from Beverly's point of view but remembering her age (12 or 13) I think King went a step too far. This whole scene was not relevant in the novel, it's was just there with really no purpose. I'm glad the movie didn't attempt to add this scene. 

5. Pennywise's defeat 

In the novel, Pennywise is defeated through the Ritual of Chud, the psychic power of the Losers Club they used a slingshot and the power of believing. The Losers belief that the slingshot will kill IT then it will. This is learned from the Turtle, the enemy of IT. In the chapter two movie, it's a more action packed scene. Pennywise's defeat it brought about by the Losers belittling IT and standing up to their fear. The Turtle is not mentioned throughout the movies except for the odd real turtle in the lake or turtle toys placed in certain scenes. The Ritual of Chud does happen in the movie however, the effect is not the same with Pennywise knowing the final outcome if the ritual is done properly. I think while the Ritual of Chud is a good ending and how the novel uses the belief of the Losers to overcome their fear makes sense. The whole story is based on fear and Pennywise using that to IT's advantage. 

Reviews:

Overall, I would give the novel a ⭐⭐⭐✯ (3.5) review and movies ⭐⭐⭐⭐ review. I did watch the movies first so I might be bias on liking them more than the novel but I thought there was a lot of chapters in the novel that weren't needed for the overall story. I do give King credit for writing IT the way he did, I question whether the novel would be published now a days if he tried today but am very unsure. I think the main story is great and I like the aspect of playing on people's fears. But there was a lot of area which I felt was overkill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment