About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Claire. I am a 29 year old Bachelor of Business graduate! I love reading, travelling and hanging out with my husband! I am an aspiring mystery writer: currently my first novel is with my editor, I am editing the first draft of my second and third novel, and writing the outline for the forth novel of the same series. Information on my novels coming soon! Thank you for looking at my blog and i hope you enjoy!

Book Review: Heat Wave

 Book Review: Heat Wave

By Maureen Jennings 


During the hottest days of the summer in 1936, Charlotte Frayne a junior private detective is assigned to two cases which may or may not be linked. Charlotte works for a detective firm owned by T. Gilmore, after an attack on his wife and a hate letter is delivered to Gilmore, Charlotte is assigned to the case. Shortly after a veteran asks for assistance in uncovering the possibility of embezzlement happening at the Paradise Café. The Paradise Café is run by the owner and his three partners all of which were prisoners of war during World War 1. While the two cases don't look to be related, the events surprise Charlotte and challenge her in her private detective career. 

Heat Wave follows Charlotte Frayne on her adventures of a junior private detective. She being the only other person working for a detective firm owned by a Mr. T. Gilmore, she now has to put her skills to the test. After an attack and hate letter sent to Gilmore he must turn to Charlotte to figure out what happen as the police suspect Gilmore himself for being responsible for the events. But that is only one of the cases she has to investigate, the second being a veteran asking for her help to find out who is embezzling at his café named the Paradise Café. While the two cases don't seemed to be linked, Charlotte soon finds out everything is not as it seems. 

Charlotte is a likely character, her internal monologue is relatable and overall she's an enjoyable character to follow. I've never read of Jennings other novels; however, have seen some of Murdoch Mysteries TV show. Jennings has a skill to write likeable main and side characters. I found the time period to be interesting, after WWI and only a few years before WWII, it's an interesting time to follow a character like Charlotte. The Paradise Café is its own character, along with the four veterans that own it. 

The cases themselves are easy to figure out but the novel is a cozy read that just makes you want to continue Charlotte's story. Heat Wave is the first novel in the Paradise Café novels which was released in 2019. While I did read this book shortly after it's release in 2019, I had yet to publish a review. However, with the second novels release, November Rain, in 2020 I felt it was time to write this review before writing a review for the sequel. 

I gave this novel a ⭐⭐⭐⭐ review. This was a fun, cozy mystery with interesting characters and setting. 

Review coming soon for the sequel, November Rain! 💛

No comments:

Post a Comment